As the number one purchaser of renewable energy credits in the USA and strategic investor in renewable energy start-up companies, INTEL will bring a relevant contribution and know-how to FOSG in relation to the application of technology and open standards to accelerate the creation of a smart pan-European Supergrid. FOSG is happy to count on a company which Research and Development department comprises more than 6,000 researchers and scientists operating collaboratively across the world. Skilled professionals along the entire supply chain industry that FOSG represents are a fundamental element to deliver a project such as the European Supergrid for a decarbonised power sector.
Martin Curley, Director of INTEL Labs Europe commented : “Intel has long history driving energy efficiency across computing technologies based on Moore’s Law. While ICT accounts for approximately 2% of the worlds carbon emissions, we foresee immense opportunities in the application of ICT technology to reduce the other 98 per cent. The transition to a sustainable low carbon electrical energy system built on large scale renewable energy integration requires significant technology innovations. Intel has long history in technology innovations and looks forward to collaborating with supergrid consortia in helping define the future ICT architecture to control and optimize the European supergrid maximizing renewables integration”.
FOSG counts on 22 members including: 3E, ACS-Cobra, ALSTOM, CESI, CG, DEME Blue Energy, DONG Energy, Elia, General Electric, Hochtief Construction AG, INTEL, Mainstream Renewable Power, UK National Grid, Nexans, Parsons Brinckerhoff, Prysmian Cables & Systems, Red Eléctrica of Spain, RTE-France, Siemens, Vattenfall, Visser & Smit Marine Contracting and wpd offshore.
Notes to editor:
About Friends of the Supergrid
The Friends of the Supergrid (FOSG) is a group of companies and organisations which have a mutual interest in promoting and influencing the policy and regulatory framework required to enable large-scale interconnection in Europe. With a special insight into the technology needed to create Supergrid the Friends will be empowered to build the know-how to deliver it in practice.
FOSG combines companies in sectors that will deliver the High Voltage infrastructure and related technology, together with companies that will develop, install, own and operate that infrastructure. The Friends will design the physical equipment, and work alongside the companies that will build the structures at sea, so that both are empowered to compete and win. The risks of providing this new transmission service will be reduced by the early knowledge gained during the policy formation and design stages.
FOSG is able to present ‘cradle to grave’ interconnection solutions to policy makers and others looking to develop energy policy across Europe through to 2050.