The Friends of the Supergrid are organizing their first Conference :
– The most efficient path to a truly European Supergrid –
Brussels, 21 March 2012
Supergrid will be the electricity transmission backbone of Europe’s decarbonised power sector, essential to meet the EU energy policy goals by 2050. It will strengthen the European security of supply by developing large-scale sustainable power generation in remote areas for transmission to centers of consumption. Supergrid will create another global opportunity for European companies to export sustainable energy technology and will finally move the EU towards a single market in electricity.
- How will the Supergrid be owned and what will be the regulatory framework required to enable large-scale interconnection in Europe?
- Who will pay for the Supergrid?
- What is currently technically do-able and what is the roadmap towards 2050?
- What are the logistical challenges and the employment opportunities of this integrated network?
- When will the first legs of such European Supergrid be built?
Friends of the Supergrid aim at providing the first forum for an open and focused debate among all interested parties on the challenges and opportunities of the Supergrid towards EU integration.
The SUPERGRID 2012 Conference will take place at the Wolubilis in Brussels (www.wolubilis.be) and will be a one day event. The official invitation together with the programme will be available in November 2011.